Bottom Article Ad

Inventing Anna: What is the rogue who fooled New York's elite and became a Netflix series doing today?

    Anna Delvi in ​​the Netflix series,

The life of the false heir who deceived the elite of New York, became a series on Netflix. A true story that seems made to be a series.

Purported German heiress Anna Delvi, whose real name is Anna Sorokin, has lived many lives at 31, the inspiration behind Netflix’s new series “Inventing Anna.”

Inventing Anna, which premiered on Netflix on February 11 and is in the Top 10 of the platform’s viewers’ preferences, is inspired by the extensive reports of the journalist Jessica Presley, who broke the news, which became topic of global discussion in 2018. in New York Magazine. The series follows the so-called journalist “Vivian”, a character based on Presley and played by Anna Klamski, as she investigates Anna’s complicated history. The series attempts to tell Sorokin’s story through the eyes of those who knew her, or at least thought they knew her.

A dizzying ascent and an even steeper, faster descent, the alleged “Anna Delvi” spent years wandering Manhattan, living in luxury boutique hotels, dining at expensive restaurants, and paying with invalid checks and forged bank transfers until 2017 when a police raid in Malibu, California on charges of grand theft, attempted theft, and theft of services, involving numerous cases of remittance fraud, fraudulent loan applications, and inability to pay bills. She posed as the wealthy heiress, with the ultimate goal of taking out a $22 million loan to open a private club in Manhattan called the Anna Delvi Foundation.

As it turned out, “Anna Delvi” was actually born in Russia, grew up in Germany, and managed to trick powerful people in New York into giving her a sum of more than $275,000. In fact, she had no property, no college degree, and no business experience.

She was sentenced in May 2019 in the US, for eight counts, from four to twelve years in prison and was released in February 2021, after serving only three years of her sentence. The reason for her anticipated release of her? Good manners.

File photo from April 25, 2019, when Anna Sorokin was in the courtroom for her trial / Photo AP Images

=

Anna Sorokin/AP Photo Images

Speaking about his experience in prison, according to The Independent, Sorokin told Presley: “Actually, this place isn’t bad at all. People think it’s horrible, but I see it as a sociological experiment.”

Six weeks after her release, Anna Sorokin was arrested again because her visa had expired. To this day, she is being held by Immigration, Customs and Law Enforcement (ICE) pending her deportation to Germany.

What did Anna Sorokin do right after she got out of prison?

Immediately after her release, Anna Sorokin took over her debts.

Because Netflix allegedly paid Sorokin $320,000, according to Esquire, she used some of that money to pay off the $200,000 she owed to banks. She also paid $25,000 in fines in New York state. With her debts paid off, she stayed at the five-star NoMad Hotel in midtown Manhattan and continued to post glamorous snapshots of life after prison on Instagram. She gave countless interviews and made some bold statements about her experience in prison.

For example, in addition to Presley’s statement about prison on Good Morning America, he claimed that his time at Rikers was “healing.” She then rented an apartment in Manhattan and began promoting a possible new fashion collaboration with former Hood By Air designer Paul Cupo. She also hired a photographer to capture her new life, which however was short-lived.

What Anna Sorokin has said about her financial crimes

Anna Sorokin has appeared in the press largely unrepentant for her actions, although in court during her hearing, she said: “I apologize for the mistakes I made.” On the other hand, in an interview granted the day after her sentence, Ella Sorokin did not seem to regret it: “The thing is that I do not regret it. I would be lying to you and everyone else, but also to myself, if I said I’m sorry about something. “I just regret the way I did certain things.”

Anna Sorokin at the New York State Supreme Court in New York in 2019 / Photo: AP Images

In a recent interview with the New York Times, he changed lines again and expressed regret for his actions. “I’m sorry for the way my case was perceived. “And I’m sorry I resorted to these actions…” he said. “I’m happy to be free. “I don’t feel like the world would be a better place if people tried to be like me.”

Recently, however, he confessed that he feels he cannot move on with his life and get over his crimes. Regarding booking him into ICE, she told Cosmopolitan, “They gave me a chance to move on, but they took everything away from me. I feel like I’m being judged for the same thing over and over again.”

Where is Anna Sorokin today?

Anna Sorokin was due to be deported to Germany, but remains in custody in the United States as, through her attorney Audrey Thomas, she applied for asylum.

In February 2022, Sorokin wrote an essay for Insider in which, this time, she described the anger and frustration she felt at being detained at ICE and referred to the release of “Inventing Anna” on Netflix.

“I have not violated any of the terms of my release and yet I have not been given a clear answer.” As he is currently in custody, Sorokin does not have easy access to a television or laptop and has stated that he will not be watching “Inventing Anna” any time soon.

His future remains at a dead end, with his asylum application pending. On January 19, in fact, Sorokin tested positive for coronavirus and was quarantined at the Orange Country Penitentiary. “I am sure I will live, but I have not been so seriously ill for many years,” he wrote.

However, according to a February 11 report from Cosmopolitan, Anna Sorokin, or as she wanted to be called “Anna Delvi,” when she saw the trailer for Inventing Anna, commented, “Am I so insufferable? I don’t feel like I’ll ever be able to be friends with myself.

source: iefi merida

Post a Comment

0 Comments